Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Real Life Conversation

As I said earlier I would write alot about Asperger's as time goes on. Also about teenagers but that will be saved for another day. One characteristic of Aspie's is that they don't follow vague directions. For example, yesterday my son's babysitter said for him to clean up the play room. You can't get much vaguer (is that a word) than that. Later she found him in the hall playing with a ball.

Babysitter: "I thought I told you to clean up the playroom."

Aspie: "I did."

Babysitter: "No, you didn't. You are in here playing with the ball."

Aspie: "But I picked it up."

Another example is at school last week we were working on stopping the new spitting behavior he had just learned. Every morning before I school I would say "Don't spit today or you cannot play your PSP tonight." He had a few good days like this. After a few days I was called to the school to pick him up because he hit a teacher. As soon as I walked to the office my son looked at me and said "At least I didn't spit."

No comments: